Friday, March 19, 2010

Can Children really be the Idol's of Adults?

Now first I would never say I would knowingly worship my children, they are truly fallen, but I do love them.   Last night as I was driving, I got to hear 'Family Life Today' a program on our Christian radio station.  The guest was Leslie Leyland Fields, a writer and speaker who was speaking on her book "Parenting is Your Highest Calling And 10 Other Lies That Trap Us In Worry And Guilt".  I got to thinking about how I view my children, sure I want them to be happy, sure I want them to be well adjusted, educated, and ready to be adults, but really when is our expectation becoming Idolatry?
I had the pleasure last year sitting in on a lecture by Voddi Boccum at a homeschooling convention, his topic was Harvard or Heaven.  So often we want our children to be smart and well educated, maybe we see success as a person who has a good job, or is 'Happy'.  For many, they place expectations of high levels of education upon our children, only to find that they arn't well adjusted.  The world really has nothing for us, and even a school like Harvard isn't exactly what it was when it was founded.  
So how do children become the Idol's of adults?  Every child is smart, beautiful, and perfect when compared to other children, they are truly a blessing from God!  But the blessing is that they are for us to guide, teach, direct and a vessel of unknown potential.  But what do they do for us?  I guess you could see all your efforts shine as they reflect upon you...  but that's really kind of selfish.  Anything we do for our children expecting better rewards for ourselves is selfish, and really taking our focus off the most important thing which is Christ.
 The fact is many of us have placed our entire purpose in raising our children, while we do have influence, we can't control the future.  Jesus said "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."  The real question is who do I love more, and If I do love Jesus more, than I can leave my children in His control.  In the first chapter of 1st Samuel, Elkanah and Hannah give the one thing they cherished more than anything, their only child, back into the hands of God.   So also must I surrender my children as vessels of His purpose, never worshiping, but simply loving and guiding as He allows me.

No comments: