Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Echo might not be Human

I was listening today to The Briefing by Albert Mohler, who brought up a very interesting story of a couple in Canada who is going to raise their child named "Echo", not as a boy, but rather to allow him to choose his species. Yes, we've moved beyond gender selection, to species selection. Echo might not be human. I've seen children go through phases where they want to be a horse, so they gallop about acting like a horse. The fact is, most children realize at some point, by acting like a particular species doesn't make you a particular species. The real question is: are the parents who are taking this stance being abusive? Not physically abusive, but mentally abusive?
Our cat just gave birth to three kittens several weeks ago. Now our cat is starting to ween these kits, and in the process she's teaching them how to fend for themselves, teaching them to hunt, and climb trees, and do the things good outdoor cats should know. This is instinct, but it's also necessary, she's teaching them to be cats! I don't think these kittens even have a species crises, they are simply accepting the fact that they are cats. We do have a cat who's best friend is a dog, but she is still a cat, and still acts like a cat, and the dog acts like a dog, they just get along great!
Is it abusive to raise your child as something they are not? Boys are boys, and girls are girls. Your will doesn't change the fact. By thinking I'm a great artist doesn't make me an artist, by thinking I'm a cat doesn't make me a cat. Would it be cruel for my parents to raise me to be an artist even when it was obvious I had no ability or talent, leading me on to adulthood thinking I'm great, when in reality my talents were else where, never developing who I truly was.
Lastly, what's wrong with being male or female; being any ethnicity, being any nationality, or being human? This is plain and simple rebellion from God, the creator of each of us. He has a plan, and sorry to say, in Echo's case, his parents don't like it. I do hope Echo realizes it's wonderful to be a human boy, and that God made him so special that he doesn't need him to think he is anything other than what he thinks he is.

No comments: